Cannabis Storage: Why it’s Important
Cannabis storage is hardly the first thing that comes up when you’re getting your kit set up. It’s far more exciting to browse for your next dry herb vape or dab rig accessories. But cannabis storage shouldn’t be overlooked. The difference between good storage and bad storage is like night and day.
You wouldn’t keep a fine wine in a hip flask, or stuff aged cheese into a zip-lock bag. You’d take more care with old grapes and mouldy dairy, so why should your precious cannabis be any different. In this blog post we’ll cover why it’s important to store your cannabis properly and some of the ways you can do this
Cannabis, despite its resilience, isn’t impervious to time. Factors like heat, light, and air are notorious culprits in the degradation of both cannabinoids and terpenes. Unless you’re taking steps to intervene, these elements can severely diminish the potency and vibrancy of your bud, leaving you with a subpar experience.
Enemy Number One: Moisture
If dried out, stale cannabis isn’t bad enough, mouldy cannabis is another potential result of improper storage. An overly dry environment will render your cannabis brittle, losing its inherent richness. On the flip side, an overly moist setting invites mould, turning your precious buds into health hazards.
The key is to strike that perfect balance, where your cannabis remains at its optimal moisture level. Fortunately, many modern storage solutions have risen to the challenge, offering that ideal ‘Goldilocks zone’ for your stash.
Keeping Aromas in Tact
Beyond just potency, cannabis is celebrated for its intricate tapestry of aromas and flavours. These characteristics are largely attributed to terpenes, delicate compounds that demand preservation. Proper storage doesn’t just protect against THC degradation; it also ensures the beautiful combination of scents and flavours remains untouched, ready to enhance your every session.
Child Safety and Discretion
A true cannabis enthusiast knows the importance of responsibility. And this extends to storage. In homes with children or the simply curious, it’s imperative to keep your stash safely out of reach. Many storage solutions today come equipped with locks, ensuring no unintended access. Additionally, discretion can be the key to harmony, especially in shared spaces. Gone are the days of pungent bags; today’s storage solutions promise subtlety and sophistication.
Good vs Bad Cannabis Storage
At this point you already know the basics, keep out of direct sunlight, avoid too much heat and ensure your cannabis is free from excessive moisture. But what do good storage solutions look like? And what are the real differences between storage methods?
Cannabis left out and exposed has a shelf life of about a week. There are many factors that can shorten or lengthen this shelf life but about a week is generally how long cannabis will last unless stored properly. On the other hand, if you did everything right and provided your cannabis with the perfect environment, you can extend that shelf life up to 2 years with only minimal loss of potency and flavour.
Improperly Stored Cannabis:
- Exposure to Light and UV Rays: When cannabis is left in direct sunlight or under UV rays, it can degrade in as little as a week. The UV rays break down the cannabinoids, and THC, in particular, transforms into a compound called CBN, which has different effects.
- Exposure to Heat: High temperatures, especially those over 77°F (25°C), can cause the terpenes to evaporate and dry out the buds, reducing the flavour and potency. If exposed to consistent high temperatures, cannabis can degrade significantly within a month.
- Exposure to Oxygen: When cannabis is exposed to too much oxygen, it speeds up the degradation process. The bud will likely become too dry and lose its potency within weeks.
- Exposure to Moisture: If cannabis is stored in a damp environment, mould can form within days. Consuming mouldy cannabis can be harmful, and it’s advised to discard any mouldy stash.
Properly Stored Cannabis:
- Cool, Dark, and Dry Environment: In an optimal environment, which is cool, dark, and with a humidity level of around 58-62%, cannabis can maintain its potency and flavour for up to 2 years. Some minor degradation might still occur, but it’ll be much slower.
- Air-tight Containers: When stored in air-tight containers like mason jars, it further reduces the degradation process by limiting oxygen exposure.
- Regulated Humidity: Using products like humidity packs can help maintain the optimal moisture level, preventing the buds from getting too dry or too moist.
Cannabis, much like many of life’s pleasures, requires a touch of TLC to truly shine. By understanding and appreciating the nuances of its storage, you not only preserve the quality of the herb but also ensure that each experience with it remains as exceptional as the first.
Whether you’re a casual consumer or a connoisseur, the little details in how you store your stash can greatly elevate your cannabis journey. After all, why settle for mediocrity when excellence is just a jar away?